lunes, 4 de febrero de 2008

A TOUCH OF THEORY

Blues lyrics

Most blues lyrics follow a simple pattern. It's known as the AAB pattern. The first two phrases are repeated and the next phrase rhymes with the first phrase.

For example:

"Long Gray Mare" by Elmore James

I've got a long grey mare, she won't let me ride

I got a long grey mare, she won't let me ride

She makes me brush her in the morning

And put her to bed every night

Long grey mare, why can't we be just like before

Long grey mare, why can't we be just like before

We used to ride so hard

Until we just couldn't ride no more

break:

Look at me grey mare, don't I feed you everyday

Look at me grey mare, don't I feed you everyday

But when I dig you with my spurs

You turn around the other way

A) Yeah, I got a long gray mare, but she won't let me ride,

A) I got a long gray mare people, but she won't let me ride,

B) Yeah she let's me brush her in the morning and put her to bed at every night.

This verse is also the chorus in this song. The I, IV, V chord pattern/progression is maintained throughout.

Not all blues songs follow this lyrical pattern, but many do. This form was probably developed because blues lyrics are often improvised and repeating the first phrase allows more time to come up with a rhyme for the second phrase.

Remember to allow for instrumental breaks in your song. Most songs will include at least one verse of improvised instrumental soloing.




How to play the blues

"Blues had a baby and they called it rock and roll."

If you are familiar with the structure of a rock and roll, country, or folk song you already know how to play the blues. Most blues, rock and country songs follow a simple chord pattern that allows for a group of musicians to play together without much discussion about how to play a song.

In its most simple form a blues song may be played like this:

In the key of A, strum the chord shown and strum each. Change chords when you see a new letter. Repeat the pattern for as long as the song is being played.

A / / / D / A / E D / A (repeat)

This pattern is called a 12 bar blues.

This is also called a standard I, IV, V progression. The first chord is the key that the song is in thus the I designation. The second chord is 5 frets or piano keys from the original chord or the 4th note in the major scale, thus the IV designation. The third chord is 7 frets or piano keys from the original chord or the 5th note in the major scale, thus the V designation.

Using the I,IV,V system, here is the 12 bar blues pattern again:

I / / / IV / I / V IV / I (repeat)

"Corrina, Corrina" is a good example of a 12 bar blues.

Corrina, Corrina,

Gal, where you been so long?

Corrina, Corrina,

Gal, where you been so long?

I been worr'in' 'bout you, baby,

Baby, please come home.

I got a bird that whistles,

I got a bird that sings.

I got a bird that whistles,

I got a bird that sings.

But I ain' a-got Corrina,

Life don't mean a thing.

Corrina, Corrina,

Gal, you're on my mind.

Corrina, Corrina,

Gal, you're on my mind.

I'm a-thinkin' 'bout you, baby,

I just can't keep from crying.

An 8 bar blues follows this pattern:

I V IV / I V I / (repeat)

"Key to the Highway" is a famous example of an 8 bar blues.

I got the key to the highway,

Billed out and bound to go.

I'm gonna leave here running;

Walking is most too slow.

I'm going back to the border

Woman, where I'm better known.

You know you haven't done nothing,

Drove a good man away from home.

[Live Verse]

When the moon peeks over the mountains

I'll be on my way.

I'm gonna roam this old highway

Until the break of day.

Oh give me one, one more kiss mama

Just before I go,

'Cause when I leave this time you know I,

I won't be back no more.

[Repeat First Verse]

[Repeat Second Verse]

No hay comentarios: